In the January 9, 2009, edition of the Federal Register, the FAA announced that the Record of Decision (ROD) for the development and expansion of Runway 9R/27L and other associated airport projects at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport is now available. With the publication of this notice in the Federal Register, opponents of the project have 60 days (i.e., until Tuesday, March 10, 2009) to file a Petition for Review of the ROD and the Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS).
The FAA identified “Alternative B1b” as its “preferred alternative” in the ROD. That was also its preferred alternative in the FEIS. This alternative includes the expansion of Runway 9R/27L ti an overall length of 8,000 feet and width of 150 feet. The runway will extend to the east without encroaching onto NE 7th Avenue and would be elevated over the Florida East Coast Railway and U.S. Highway 1. The western extent of the runway is the Dania Cut-Off Canal. Alternative B1b also includes the following projects:
- construct a new full-length parallel taxiway 75 feet wide on the north side of Runway 9R/27L with separation of 400 feet from 9R/27L;
- contruct an outer dual parallel taxiway that would be separated from the proposed north side parallel taxiway by 276 feet;
- construct connecting taxiways from the proposed full-length parallel taxiway to existing taxiways;
- construct an Instrument Landing System (ILS) for landings on Runways 9R and 27L;
- Runway 13/31 would be decommissioned and permanently closed due to the increased elevation of the expanded Runway 9R/27L at its intersection with Runway 13/31.
Opposition to the expansion centers around the increased noise that the expansion will bring, as well as damage to the surrounding environment.
Although the Federal Register notice states that the ROD is available on the FAA’s website, as of the posting of the article it was not. The Airport’s website does have a copy of the unsigned, undated ROD, along with the appendices, which includes responses to the comments that the FAA received. N.b., since the ROD on the Broward County site is unsigned and undated, we calculated the 60 days based on the letter sent from the FAA to Broward County that indicates that the FAA does not consider the ROD “published” until the announcement appears in the Federal Register.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents (pdf 13kb)
- Record of Decision
Record of Decision (pdf 5.3mb)
- APPENDIX A – Comments Received and FAA Responses on the Final EIS
Appendix A 1 of 10 (pdf 68kb)
Appendix A 2 of 10 (pdf 5.3mb)
Appendix A 3 of 10 (pdf 7.8mb)
Appendix A 4 of 10 (pdf 5.3mb)
Appendix A 5 of 10 (pdf 4.8mb)
Appendix A 6 of 10 (pdf 5.8mb)
Appendix A 7 of 10 (pdf 5.9mb)
Appendix A 8 of 10 (pdf 6.9mb)
Appendix A 9 of 10 (pdf 5.7mb)
Appendix A 10 of 10 (pdf 533kb)
- APPENDIX B – Agency Letters: Concurrence, Certifications, Correspondence
Appendix B 1 of 2 (pdf 3.8mb)
Appendix B 2 of 2 (pdf 4.7mb)
- APPENDIX C – Final EIS Errata Documents
Appendix C 1 of 1 (pdf 2.6mb)
- APPENDIX D – Final EIS Addendum Documents
Appendix D 1 of 1 (pdf 1.5mb)